January 16, 2012

Monday Funday!

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

On my day off from school, I started my day with a nice early morning workout! I go to an awesome bootcamp here in Dallas, which has many different times to get your daily workout in. So, after I got my muscles moving for about 30 minutes, I was starving!!


I rushed back to my apartment and made one of my favorite pre and post workout meals, a recovery smoothie! I call it a "recovery" smoothie, because the protein powder + fruit gives it a nice balance of carbohydrates and protein, both of which are important for muscle repair and to replenish your energy stores.
Consuming a cold smoothie in January, might not be the best idea, considering I was freezing after I drank it, but a nice light and refreshing smoothie is perfect post-exercise! My smoothie's main flavors are bananas and blueberries, but you can customize it to your liking!

Goal for the day: go get a nice, sweaty workout in and try my smoothie!

Print this recipe!


Recovery Smoothie


To start, put about 1/2 cup of low fat milk (my favorite: unsweetened almond milk) in your blender.
Next, add your low fat yogurt: vanilla or plain; greek or regular
Drop your frozen banana in! You just need one!
Add your blueberries too! About 1/2 cup
I like to add about 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds to my smoothie also, for a nice dose of omega 3's!
Don't forget one of the most important part: the protein powder! Use whatever brand is your favorite!
And just blend it up for a few minutes! You will probably need to add some more milk (up to another 1/2 cup) because it get pretty thick. Pour into your favorite glass and consume!
Pretty Purple Color!
And yes, I put my smoothie in a wine glass... I wanted to be fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment