January 19, 2012

Pizza Pizza

One of my favorite foods in the world is pizza! And I'm sure most of you love it too!

But unless it is really yummy authentic pizza, I'll pass on the delivery stuff any day (so greasy and makes you feel bloated... not fun).  When I have a major pizza craving, I love to make my own pizza version!

Making your own pizza is very economical and and save you TONS of fat and calories than the typical delivery pizza. AND it will be that much more delicious! So when my friends from school came over last weekend for a little study session and Golden Globes watching, the make-your-own-pizza dinner was on the agenda...and it did not disappoint one bit!

Pizza parties are literally one of the easiest and most affordable dinner parties out there! Add some sangria and you know you're going to have a good night! So, to help out those future party planners, here is my typically grocery list of items to get for a pizza making party!

Pizza Party Inventory

  • Whole wheat pizza dough - most grocery stores now have fresh or frozen raw pizza dough that you can take home and bake yourself! And whole wheat pizza dough is becoming more prevalent and easier to find! It's also good for avoiding any preservatives that might be in pre-baked pizza crust.
  • Tomato Sauce or Pesto - when doing my grocery shopping, I noticed that the cheapest tomato sauce option was an organic one! Score!
  • Mozzarella Cheese - get the 2% milk/ low fat cheese! Same great taste, but less saturated fat and calories.
  • Onions - delicious when caramelized in a pan with a little olive oil
  • Garlic - I have decided is it impossible to make pizza without adding a little garlic somewhere!
  • Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables - ok, I DO NOT consider pizza a vegetable, but you can put lots of vegetables on your pizza for added flavor and nutrition! My favorites: zucchini, squash, mushrooms, red bell pepper, fresh tomatoes, eggplant, spinach, etc. 
  • Protein Source - Get anything you like! I love chicken, so getting a rotisserie chicken is a quick and easy way to get some protein in. 
  • Side Salad - easy way to get more greens in! A nice side salad goes perfectly with a pizza meal.
And if you're a college/ graduate student like me, ask your friends to bring over any random ingredients they might have to put on the pizza as well! That saves time, money, and food waste!
Pre-oven pizza
Once you've sauced and topped it, just put pizza's in a 450 degree oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, and you have fresh, homemade, all natural pizza!

Rachel & Jordan's Pizza
Mine & Staci's Pizza
The best part is stretching out your pizza dough and getting creative with your toppings! And making your own pizza is much more wholesome and delicious and won't leave you feeling bloated. (Translation: you can eat more for way less kcals).

For your next party... make it a pizza party! You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment