April 26, 2012

Countrytime

Let's begin today with a riddle:

What is the one best doughy morning treat that is perfect either savory or sweet?
(and I didn't even mean for that to rhyme!)

Give up??
Biscuits!

Like any normal person, this concoction came out of a late night craving for these delicious fluffy clouds. 
It also happened to be around Easter time, which increased my desire for a carb laden snack.

Backstory: Every Easter and Thanksgiving I will go down to my aunt and grandmother's house in Tennessee. And every morning, my aunt will make homemade biscuits for breakfast and I will always eat probably between 2 - 3 of them because they are just so darn tasty.

Now, you would think if my family are good biscuit makers, I would be able to whip up a batch super quickly.... WRONG! Somehow, I did not inherit the biscuit making gene.

My aunt and grandmother's biscuits had two ingredients: buttermilk and self rising flour. But no matter how many times I've tried, I cannot master that type of biscuit to save my life. So I went in a different direction:

Whole Wheat "Buttermilk" Biscuits

And to my pleasant surprise, they were not hard biscuit rocks! They were nice and fluffy and ready for dousing in butter and honey. Enjoy!


Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup soy milk
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • dash of salt
  • 1 tablespoon butter/ vegan butter
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a bowl or cup, combine the milk with vinegar and set aside. The vinegar with help to sour the milk and make it taste more like buttermilk (You could always just use buttermilk and omit this step).

In a bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, and salt. Mix to combine.

Next, take the butter and "cut" it into the flour. Basically, take your fingers and crumble the butter up with the flour mixture, until it looks more coarse, and a bit like sand.


Pour the "buttermilk" into the flour and briefly mix until all everything is moistened.

Flour a surface of your counter top, and then dump the biscuit dough onto counter. Dust top of dough with a little more flour. Knead dough 3 - 4 times. It will look like a very soft dough and be semi-sticky.



Cut dough into rounds with a biscuit cutter and place biscuits in the center of a cake pan, having the biscuits touching. Drizzle oil on top of the biscuits, and bake for 9 - 11 minutes or until golden brown.

Bake and Serve Immediately! 

No comments:

Post a Comment