April 24, 2012

Strange Food Week

I hope everyone is having a great start to the week! This week is my finals week, so I apologize for the random food posts that will be surfacing in the next few days.

You can be sure there will be lots of creative "dishes" coming your way in my attempt to eat all of the food in my refrigerator/ pantry before I leave to go home next week.

So, to start this week off right, I present you with some Black Beans
And yes, I mean black beans from a can. We're not even talking "fancy" black beans that you have to soak the night before and then let cook for an hour before you can do anything remotely delicious with them. Just old fashioned, straight from a can black beans.... low sodium please!

One Pot Black Beans


Like most savory recipes I come up with, this one also calls for sautéing diced onions in 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat in a medium sized pot. Cook until translucent and slightly browned.

Before
After
When the onion look the above picture, dump in your can of black beans. You don't rinse the beans, you just dump everything in the pot, liquid and all.


Next, add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and a pinch of salt. And add some fresh squeezed lime for good measure.

Allow the bean mixture to cook down for about 15 minutes, or until the liquid is slightly thickened. 


And that's it! A one pot wonder! These beans are perfect as a side dish, or just eating on their own!

PS: Don't you love my Lilly Pulitzer coasters?!





No comments:

Post a Comment